Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Final email...coming back to the States

And before some of you freak out, yes I do intend to be back this August (but as Hanna has pointed out to me before, "Write your plans in pencil and give God the eraser")...

My last day in Geneva is Friday August 25th. What next? Right now, I am a student again, having been given admission into a dual degree programme at umich (essentially it is a tag on to my current degree but set to finish next schoool year '07). Will I actually go ahead and get the dual degree? I have not decided. I want to come back and figure out my options before making that decision.

So far, I am waiting to hear what is needed for my "new" I-20 (apparently I need a new one that states I have transferred into a different programme - immigration gibberish!). I am assuming this is going to take longer than a few days so I intend to move my flight back from wed the 23rd to a later time (hopefully before September 1st).

What does Jagila want? Does that really matter right now? :) Honestly I am ok with going home for a little bit. My parents are freaked by that idea because "you may not be able to go back to the States Jagila" and my response is "then I won't go back" and then we go into this long-winded discourse about being open to God's will (which translates differently as you can imagine). After being here at WHO and talking to some pretty amazing people, the resounding theme has been get field work experience and do it now when you are young. Doctors and non-doctors alike have told me that when I am on the field it will give me a clear sense of what it is I really want to do with my life (med school or PhD or field level work or whatever). So right now, I am waiting on the Almighty! to direct and show me what the deal is...

I am working on a publication with my mentor here (of course to be finished after I leave) and I present my summer work to the department on Monday (each intern on the floor has had to do this).

There you go! Hopefully this email is sufficient to give you guys an idea of what is going on with me. I covet your prayers through this process. I hope you are all well and I look forward to seeing you (if not soon, in the near future) :)

No comments: