People are busy."Great insight Jagila" you say with sarcasm. But listen... People are so busy in fact that you could sit at your desk, pregnant and crying, and no one would notice. "Well what if the person has an office to herself J, no one will see anyway." No. Your desk is situated on a floor with an open floor plan where your boss sits to your left, your co-workers in front and behind you, and the passage way where everyone walks through at least once a day is to your right.
I noticed this yesterday and marvelled at how disconnected we are from one another. Did I go up to pregnant crying lady? No. I felt she needed her space to deal and would not appreciate my intrusion... Since when is concern an intrusion? And since when is space defined as an area for one?
Someone said to me yesterday "J, you've changed." And in my head I thought wow! 2 months of hanging out with me and you feel I have changed. Interesting! So what are the Halimas, Aishas, Hillarys and Graces in my life to say? And then I thought maybe the ones who have known me for the shortest amount of time are more attune to immediate changes in my behaviour. Just a thought...

Upon sharing this with a friend she said "think about whether the comment made is truly saying something that perhaps you can improve upon ..." Excellent advise, but how do you improve on change?
My conclusion: Space is an illusion; an excuse we use to create distance. And change? It happens...
No comments:
Post a Comment