Thursday, January 28, 2010

Random Day 1: PDA (no its not what you think)

Today during morning report one of my Attendings said to me "Jagila I have noticed the patients with personality disorders like to come to you. They seem to like you." (I am currently doing Clinical Rotations in Pyschiatry). I was offended by this thinking he meant I had an underlying personality disorder and those patients were coming to me so we could form a club. Next thing I know he would be recommending we call ourselves 'Personality Disorders United.' Of course we would change the name to something more catchy like 'PDA (Personality Disorders Anonymous)' or something more meaningful to our diagnosis like 'We were born with hammers. Our goal is to pound the world to suit us Inc.'

So of course I joked it off. I said "that's not good"  in a comical way. The other Attending then said "No it is. It's a good thing. Patients like this like stable people and are drawn to stable people." Now I really start to get paranoid-not a good thing to be on a pysch ward. What if they are trying to rope me in and see how I react and then if I bond with these patients they will decide I'm not "fit" to be a medical student and I need to have some therapy myself. 

"Well I really need to act out then so they stop coming to me." Everyone laughs. Sigh of relief.

I've been thinking about what that means "drawn to stable people." I for one am not that stable. I have mood swings. I am lazy and inconsistent with my academic performance. I consider myself a faithful friend and yet don't keep in contact with friends for great lengths of time. I have days were all I do is watch re-runs of 'Friends' the tv show rather than interact with real people. I guess based on my understanding of what is considered stable, that is, that which is consistent, unwavering, I say I am far from stable.

This experience made me wonder what it is that other supposedly 'non-mentally ill' people consider stable compared to the mentally ill, and more so, what makes some who appear more-stable-than-others more 'appeasing.'

All thoughts welcome. 
For general knowledge

Photos from:Cartoonstock.com, Mental Health Association 
Tufts.edu

No comments: