I have two conclusions thus far. First, the hospital is not a benign place. One of two things happen in a hospital setting; you get better or you get worse. The improvement in health status can be simply because the disease course is one that improves with time and without medical intervention. Or, some intervention in the hospital worked. The same theory holds when health status worsens. It could simply be that the disease course is such that the condition worsens before it improves, it worsens permanently until death occurs, or it worsens because of some iatrogenic cause ie we in the hospital made it worse. I have not witnessed a Pediatric death yet and I am grateful but I know it is inevitable to be a doctor and not encounter the death of a patient.
My second conclusion is that God's grace, strength and favour have carried me through. I can honestly say the hard days are days when I am not plugged in to the holy spirit and I am working from within myself. As a Christian that is not my design or purpose. Residency is teaching me how limited I am when I work from within and as if unto myself. Thank God for his infinite grace.
So half way through intern year do I have any regrets? Not really. I wish I had more time off. I wish residency was not so consuming. And I wish I could get more sleep. I love sleep!!!
I am where I am meant to be and I am at peace with that. Thank God for for his infinite mercy.


No comments:
Post a Comment