Today i realized my parent's mortality and it hit hard. It hit me that what is actually going into my dad's mouth has the propensity to kill him and save his life, and it all depends on an equation tested on rats and now performed on humans which trials have shown should go according to plan. Well what happens when one of the constituents of the equation lags? It hit me as i counseled my mother about what she needs for bone health, that outside of God's own intervention, she would have been wheelchair bound and maybe we would never be having this conversation...
It's easy when you are a doctor in training to be focused on getting work done rather than enjoying the moments at work; to be focused on giving information rather than ensuring information is received; to pay attention to the check list of things to send patients home with, rather than involve myself with the change in their life with what I have given. But here I am, dealing with the medical knowledge as it applies to the people I love, and the only defence I have is to doctor it up in other not to cry...
On thanksgiving day today, I am thankful for the reminder that life is fleeting. I am thankful for the blessing to sit in the same room with my parents after 3 yrs, even if it means I get to be their doctor and daughter all it once. And I am thankful that God intervenes and doesn't wait for us to thank him only for that which we remember. I am thankful for you Lord.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment