Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The one who works behind closed doors

God has performed a miracle. Behind closed doors he has confounded the wise things of this world. Some will call it serendipity.  That to me is man's way to explain what God has done. I can boldly testify of that. 

So here's the story. I am currently completing my last elective as a medical student at Brooklyn Hospital for Pediatric GI. I had emailed and asked for a Pediatric elective way back in March of 2010 and the coordinator told me there was nothing available. In January he emailed me and told me someone had dropped a spot and it was open but I had to move a bunch of stuff around to make it happen. Thank God for Clinical coordinators who are flexible. 


Fast forward to the start of my elective. My attending asked me what I matched for, and when I told him I didn't match he says to me "so why don't you just go back to Nigeria then, why try to stick around?" Makes you wonder about somehow who is so direct and unapologetic. The second week of this elective my attending told me he wanted to speak to me and proceeded to tell me a PGY 1 position had opened up in the Pediatric dept and he thought of me. He said "let me know tomorrow morning if you are interested in the position and  I will introduce you to Sarah." Sarah is the Director of the program. I went home and prayed and then spoke to my parents about it and then got my application materials together. The next morning I told him I was interested and he proceeded to introduce me to the director of the program. I got my first interview that same day. The Associate program director interviewed me the next day. They both said "the committee meets on Monday so you'll know by Tuesday if you got the spot or not." 


Today at 12:48pm I got a phone call from Lisa the Residency Coordinator. She called to offer me the position. 

God works in mysterious ways. He already had this in place and also placed me strategically where I needed to be. And then he proceeded to work through a route no one ever would have imagined. And thankfully I didn't get the spot because the person who had been offered the position before me had a mishap that prevented him or her from attending. It was because the person who was accepted was actually applying for a second year spot (PGY 2) and a second year position miraculously opened up because a PGY-2 in the program decided to transfer out. 

How great is our God!! He hears our prayers, he fulfills his promises, and He alone receives the glory!!! I just had to testify of his goodness. God blesses us so that his ways may be known. We are blessed so we can testify of God's goodness.
Ps 67:1-2: May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine on us— 
2 so that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations. 


So glorify the Lord with me.


God desires men and women who will trust him regardless of our circumstances. And he calls her (or him) blessed who believes he will accomplish what he has promised. Luke 1:45 "Blessed is she (he) who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”
Whatever it is you are believing God for, know that he will fulfill it in his time and to his glory. Remain in his peace. It may seem like he has not heard your prayers because he has not yet answered them, but do you remember Abraham? Remember Lazarus? Believe God for who he is. 


I'm going to be a Pediatric doctor. Usi Yesu!! 


God bless you! 

No comments: