- ------------------------------
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reversed its position on
the safety of Bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical found in plastic bottles,
soda cans, food containers and thousands of consumer goods, saying it
now has concerns about health risks... Washington Post
So the bottom line is the FDA approved this chemical for use (it is so prevalent that something like 90% of the US population will have urine test positive for BPA) and this approval was based on questionable research to begin with and now BPA is a health concern. The approval was based on research funded by the Chemical Industry. Dare I say that is a blatant conflict of interest? Also, the FDA approved BPA use despite advice from its own independent science advisers: "The agency was faulted by its own panel of independent science advisers in 2008, which said its position on BPA was scientifically flawed because it ignored more than 100 published studies by government scientists and university laboratories that raised health concerns about BPA."
I don't know what you will take away from this. I personally have always been weary of the FDA because of its approval of certain Pharma products without thorough or unbiased research. Regardless of how you (or I) feel, we need to keep an eye on what happens with this chemical because it will affect our health.
No comments:
Post a Comment