Sunday, April 08, 2007

Nigerians... it's not ok!!!

A re-post from a friend (Rose Ibiama's facebook blog)

Guys, remember NEPA, now its Power Holding. When I went home for christmas, I lost count of how many times we had no electricity...it took my ears days to get used to the sounds of generators going off and on.

Ki le nwi ni pa NEPA? (VIDEO FROM ABEOKUTA.ORG)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsdBt_tqaEE

People are frustrated and tired of the way things are...you cant talk about it nationally or publicly without being criticized by the new "democratic Nigeria". Some say "its ok, god dey" I say "NO ITS NOT OK!!!"

There are no excuses for this ...technologically, Nigeria is developing so fast and lack of electricity and water is a main hold back for lots of folks.

I went to my friends office...small PC business, he cant get internet and cant afford to have generator running all day so his computers are turned off half of the day. He loses clients. He is frustrated.
Fuel is not just scarce but its hard to get for millions of Nigerians that are below the poverty level. And when I say poverty level, am not judging by American standards of poverty.

Walked into an internet cafe...they didn't have electricity and didn't want to waste it on one customer...this goes on and on and on for millions of internet cafe owners Its not worth it...there is no gain when you spend more money bribing to get fuel to run a generator that you have to pay to maintain...

In Abuja, the cleared out a village, they supposedly "relocated" them and promised financial support. I took a walk and spoke to some of the people around there. They never received any money from the government... some of these guys are construction workers, market women, labourers etc. The new relocated has no access to public roads or transportation. Am guessing the government expects them to buy cars with the 50 cents they make.

Millions of naira was budgeted years ago to maintain and build new facilities... take the case of the Port Harcourt Governor Peter Odili supposedly spent N60,000000 on street lights. The street lights only go a few miles in PH and the streets are not even well lit...when the bulbs go out no one comes out to fix them...LOL...its not funny!!


I was comfortable in Nigeria but millions of people are not AND ITS NOT OK!!

1 comment:

JM said...

Preach Rose!! You're right! It's not ok. Question is, what can we do about it? Where do we start and how? And! are there enough people willing to do what it takes for the change you are talking about? the change our people need? I'm with you on this 100%. We should start talking about the how...