Thursday, April 26, 2007

Did my mother just...

Hold up!

This graceful, beautiful, peace loving (apparently except when war is necessary) woman just said to me that all the rallying against the election results are a good thing. WHAT! Mary M.W.G! See you need to understand my mother to see why this is scary! Yes she is stubborn (wonder where I got that from) and no one can pray like that woman, and her usual answer is "Jagil we are just sitting here praying." But!! The woman pulled out the guns too and said that hopefully the uproar about the elections will cause some change and maybe going to the streets is good. And I am the one on the other side of the world saying Nigerians don't know how to rally peacefully and she is like "well...." Ummm hello?!? Is this a role reversal or what! My mama is joining the revolution!! Go Mary its your birthday! Who's' next?

p.s. what was that Tracy Chapman Revolution song again? hehe
Dont you know
Theyre talkin bout a revolution
It sounds like a whisper
Dont you know
Theyre talkin about a revolution
It sounds like a whisper

While theyre standing in the welfare lines
Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation
Wasting time in the unemployment lines
Sitting around waiting for a promotion

Poor people gonna rise up
And get their share
Poor people gonna rise up
And take whats theirs

Dont you know
You better run, run, run...
Oh I said you better
Run, run, run...

Finally the tables are starting to turn
Talkin bout a revolution

3 comments:

Thliza said...

Let us hope the rallying and the hue and cry brings some change as she hoped. I like her inclination. Nigerians doesn’t know how to rally peacefully? Maybe it’s because, peaceful rally does not bring good results. Perhaps the government is like saying “leave those cowards, we will deal with. We would not do what they are asking for. By that, they will not come ‘next time’. At worst, we will use our machinery-police etc. to disperse them should there be ‘next time’ at all”. So? Do the violent type of rallying; destroy government property if pushed… I don’t have anything against those that are capable of doing these, but I do have some reservations sha!

JM said...

I meant that they tend to target anyone and everyone, not just government... That is my concern.

Thliza said...

Yea, thats' the most painful aspect of it. But strictly speaking, who are the government? "We" are the government! The "we" does not include everybody anyway. However, if somebody becomes a ready tool in the hand of the government, be he a street urchin, a government worker etc; provided that he does the bidding of the government against the wishes of the majority of the ordinary citizens - he should be treated as government property and must be served with the same plate of treatment that would otherwise be meted to government "property" in the real sense of the word. Howbeit, if I understood what you were trying to say, I will still stick to my first sentence. I said painful because, during rampage, it is most often, practically impossible to demarcate between the innocent and goverment property. This is moreso, if the innocents are in somewhat close association with government "property". That is why if you look at rally, specifically the violent type, they are uncalled for in a civilized society; simply because the innocents eventually becomes the victims. Now, if you and I pretends to be innocent, then both of us are potential victims. There may be no way out except the campaign for good governence begins with us (at our own levels) and then the people in authority so that there shall be no cause for these vulgar kind of rally.