Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Use and Abuse

Wall Street Journal January 3rd: An exposé of Abbott Lab's tactics to protect sales of one of their drugs, Kaletra, while putting at stake the treatment of many AIDS patients in America by hiking up the price of another of their drugs.

Summary: They raised the prices of an older drug, Novir, by 400%!!!!! so as to motivate a move towards purchase of this newer Kaletra drug. Want to know what the other option was to protect sales of this Kaletra drug?!? I'll tell you. They were going to withdraw production of Novir (which by the way has been shown to be highly effective, when in combination with other drugs, at preventing the replication of the virus). The alternative to this pill for those who are already using it in combo with other drugs? A liquid form of Novir which in the words of Abbott's own vice-president of global pharmaceutical research and development (R&D) "tastes like vomit." You know what their rationalization was going to be for withdrawing Novir? It was recommended that they tell the American Public, when all the activists come knocking, that Novir needed to be sent to the developing world (i.e. AFRICA) as part of a humanitarian effort!!!

I am so incensed by pharm companies right now! They are the most greedy, exploitative, entity on the face of this earth! And don’t get me started on the fact that R&D is directed towards drugs that sustain rather than cure illnesses thereby creating a constant dependence rather than an equal focus on curative and maintenance therapy!! And also how pharmaceuticals are the most unregulated institutions in this country!! AHHHHHHHHH! I need to stop before I get a hernia…

Sun samu jaki!

2 comments:

Thliza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thliza said...

How pathetic! You even sound like an economist and an activist you know.
Moreover, your comment on NI Eqn Y=C+I+G refers.
It couldn’t have been my theses Jagila. Some were actually written in 2004, while others in December 2006. I graduated in September 2005. my theses was actually on “ An Assessment of the Potential Costs and Benefit of the Current Banking Reforms in Nigeria’ hoped to be publish by the CBN, Abuja. Others, I hoped to be published by the CBN are” Expanding Trade for Sustainable Development in Nigeria: Issues Prospects and Challenges (November 2006); Achieving Credibility of Capital Inflows in Africa: Issues and Challenges (December 2006); and Regional Integration and Economic Development in Africa: Issues and Challenges (January 2007).